Skip to main content

Complicated Hearts Duet by Ashley Jade

"OH MY LANTA"

Let me start by saying that this is one of my favorite books ever and because of that reason I was hesitant to do this review but someone actually requested it so here goes.

 *Spoiler Free*

I first read this Duet back in 2018 and to say I WAS NOT EXPECTING this book is an understatement. The cover and blurb did not capture my attention so I had it on my kindle for a while and after reading another book from Ashley I decided to give it a go because I loved her writing style.

This duet is told in three point of views and let me just say the web that Ashley weaved here is FUCKING EXCEPTIONAL.

'' The heart is a dangerous thing, because the organ never lies. No matter how many deceptions you try to feed it....it always knows what and who it beats for''

Breslin is in love with Asher Holden , the boy who stole her heart completely and who she wants to spend the rest of her life with. That is until the day came that he ruined her....now she's left with a hole in her chest trying to move on. Fast forward a couple years and she's in college now with a 'steady' boyfriend but Asher still haunts her every thought.

Meet Asher, years after Breslin and he still has not recovered because she still owns his heart. Now caught up in a wicked plot he needs to step up and be the one to save his brother but he is at an all time low and it seems that he can't catch a break. His past is always hovering like a dark cloud over his head and he is constantly living in its shadow. Then he sees a way out....but at what cost?

Then there is Landon, he is in love with Breslin. After being with her for some time he confesses his love for her but because of her past she has a hard time giving her all to him. Now Landon is left waiting for her because he knows that she is the real thing......that is.......until he meets the new student he has to tutor.

This is where the story begins to mentally fuck you because you think you know where it's going but you have no idea. Its not just a love triangle, there are so many more twist and surprises and oh crap moments. These characters are flawed, from the past snippets you get to the present story all of them are each burdened by their past but it makes them so much more real and down to earth which makes it easier for us as readers to connect with them. Throughout this entire story I felt like I was right there with these characters, hurting with Breslin, Scared with Asher and Loving with Landon.
Ashley wrote this is such a way that you don't just get one love story, you get three. This duet is so intricate and fragile, I feel like if I give away one detail it will ruin the experience for you. I went into this blind and I got to experience all the laughs, tears, frustration and anger with these characters and I truly believe that it added to the overall enjoyment of this story.
This book was something that I didn't know I needed until I read it! This book honestly means so much to me, and I know that some people wont understand how a book can possible mean so much to me. BUT...coming from someone who struggled with her sexuality most her life it was amazing to read so many real life moments here.
The angst in this duet is nothing like I ever read before and it truly adds to the story. Like all her books, Ashley gives us so many pieces to the puzzle and when all is said and done we realize that we have the most perfectly put together puzzle laid out in front of us.

 ''She captivates me
frustrates me.
And you, you fascinate me
complicate me''

Whenever I think of love stories,  I think of this book. The love that these characters have to give is so pure and untainted I wanted to crawl between the pages and saturate myself in it.
Landon, my sweet gentle soul. From the moment I met him I knew that he was going to ruin me. The way that he loves, my GOD I can only hope that I will be able to experience a love like the one that he so willingly gives one day.
Asher's love is consuming,  he does not know how to love in part. He is fiercely protective and will slay dragons for those he love.
Breslin, my sassy girl with the broken heart who's scared to open up again. I loved watching her come into her own and figure out exactly how big her heart truly is.

I remember being so scared coming closer to the ending of the story and crying because I felt like my heart had been ripped out and decimated. Throughout the book you cant help but root for the characters HEA and then BAM Ashley drops a bomb on you and you question everything you thought you knew. This was such a difficult read for me and I actually did not want to finish because in my mind I knew what was going to happen. Suffice to say that I did not know ANYTHING.

'' I am hopelessly and irrevocably in love with two people--and both have completely fucked me up and ruined me for anyone else''

This duet is truly Perfect, its not just about love. Its about growth, forgiveness, freedom to be with who you love and ultimately being proud of who you are. Never have I ever read a book like this and since reading it I have yet to come across another that even remotely compares. I feel like this book should be in a category all on its own because it was FUCKING BRILLIANTLY WRITTEN.

Now that we got that out of the way-----The Sex Scenes. 
Fucking Hell, never in my life have I been so jealous of a fictional character  but Breslin you are one lucky girl. I was burning up, dripping wet and panting reading these scenes so if all the lovely things I had to say about this book didn't convince you then read it for the sex because it will set panties ablaze around the world.

So that's it... I feel like I should stop and just tell you all to read the book because this review may turn into a novella lol.
This honestly is one of the best books that I have ever read and I hope that you decide to give it a chance because you just might fall in love.

I absolutely recommend this book.

5\5 Complicated Stars.



'' What are you doing?''
I look at them both and smile '' listening to my favorite song''





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wicked Lies Boys Tell by K Webster

Firstly I just want to say that I have an unhealthy obsession with this author, she writes some of the most deliciously dark and dirty books! *this is an MM book*  I always get excited whenever K releases a new book because she’s one of those authors that I love everything she writes. When I read the blurb for Wicked Lies Boys Tell I began counting down the days until the notification popped up on my kindle lol. Everything about this books grabs you and sucks you in from the first page. Meet Penn, all American jock, super popular trust fund baby and a Liar! Then there’s Cope, brooding artist, bad boy , and a cold hearted devil with a hot girlfriend but he happens to be the biggest Liar of them all, also they are Ex- best friends turned enemies. After a reconciliation, their relationship is no longer black or white but it’s in this weird grey area. Emotions are running strong and the odds are set against Penn and Cope. This story is filled with forbidden feelings and half trut

Dreams of 18 by Saffron A Kent

Before I get into this review I feel like I should say a few things. Saffron is an author who I absolutely adore, she wrote one of my favorite books EVER * The Unrequited * I have always loved her way with words and her ability to pull you into a story.  With that being said let’s get into Dreams of 18.  *contains spoilers* “Something made of Moon and Magic” This book is a stand-alone but it includes characters that we already met in Medicine Man.  We first got to meet Violet as one of Willows friends in Heartstone. This book starts off with Violet first seeing Graham when she was 16 but both characters never actually talk until she turned 18 even though she Brian’s (his son) best friend and they’re neighbors. Stay with me- on the night of her 18th birthday she decides to sneak into Graham’s yard which she usually does to collect flowers. They meet, share a kiss (which is all her doing) her sister and Brian finds them in this compromising position and it “ruins

Hush Hush by Lucia Franco

* This review does not contain spoilers as I believe that you need to go in blind to get the full experience of this book * Lucia Franco has become my new favorite author. I first read her work in the Off Balance Series and halfway through book one I was hooked-lined-sinkered!! When the blurb for Hush Hush was released I honestly was not that excited but I knew that I would read it anyway because it's Lucia! What I WAS NOT expecting was to fall head over heels in love with this book ( like in love love). This is slow burn romance at it's best. I kid you fucking not! I was at the edge of my seat for the first half of this book and on the floor for the second. Meet Aubrey, a college student who has not had the easiest life so when her roommate\best friend Natalie decides to help get her a job at Sanctuary Cove an upscale secret club she decides to take a chance because it can help her and her Gammy financially. I think this book officially captured my heart when Aubr